Sunday, February 3, 2013

How Changing the Way You Pet Parent Can Save You Money




After nearly 20 years in the animal care profession, I found I was very frustrated. As an animal cruelty investigator, I had seen so much neglect, only to find out that the pet parent didn't intend to do harm to the animal, but often had no idea what proper care included. I also found that a huge issue was finances.

At the time I believed that if you couldn't afford "proper" vet care for a pet, you should not have one. Yet,  I learned that if great finances was a requirement, more pets would be put to sleep because there would be few available homes.

So what was the solution? Veterinarians have to make a living just like everyone else and most do their best to help those who are less fortunate. As much as we would like them to be Superman and Wonder Woman of the animal care world, they can only do so much.

So, what if we as pet parents learned to be more proactive in our pets care? What if we could learn to treat the minor issues at home and save our pet dollars for the serious stuff?

That's what my approach is all about. I am not a veterinarian. I do not make diagnosis or treatment plans. I teach you what is normal for your pet, how to examine your pet from head to tail. I explain, in simple terms, how to keep things in good working order, and when to know its time to go to the vet. I help you learn techniques to treat in an emergency as someone drives you to the emergency clinic or if no local vet is available.

I also teach you how to finance your pet's care and what is the most effective way to utilize the money you have. I make vet visits less confusing and help you understand what blood work, x-rays, and other lab tests reveal.

For the most up to date research explained in layman's terms, come back to my blog again and again. I don't think you will be disappointed.

If you are in Northeast Tennessee and would be interested in attending a Saturday class given by The Pet Parent Professor, please email me at jcfarris.ppp@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment